In 1873, brothers Didace (1856) and Émery (1858) Millette, return to the Eastern Townships after having worked approximately 8 years in a spinning mill in Ware, Massachusetts. They had little interested in exploiting the family land so their mother gave them $500 she had raised during the exile to the United States for the launch in the timber trade. They were respectively 17 and 15 years.
Didace and Emery decide to settle in the village of Lawrenceville. The construction of a two storey building begins immediately. The first floor is used for the workshop and the second floor is arranging to house for the whole family. They specialize in the production of construction materials such as doors, chassis, slats and shingles. They also built houses and barns.
Their business was flourishing so they expanded their property on several occasions, consequently extending their production to other items such as boxes for cheese dairies.
In 1891, they decided to legally found a company under the name Millette & Brothers. In 1893, the Millette brothers sell their first building destroyed in a fire and purchase a field, located at the turn of a rapid in the Black River. The brothers measure the considerable importance of the land, because they see it as a strategic advantage: the power of the water.
Pleased by their new location, the brothers undertake the construction of their second plant and move their equipment. Their range of products is expanding: they add furniture and coffins to the production of the moment.
Everything is for the best. The company is thriving. But in 1904, the brothers are going through a difficult test: a fire completely destroys the business. The factory is a total loss. They have no insurance. Despite this obstacle, they decide not to abandon their project and rolled up their sleeves, they undertake the reconstruction of a saw mill in 1905, a plant the following year, and they saw this as the perfect opportunity to integrate new machinery.